The best of Venture in Security 2023
A list of top ten Venture in Security articles published in 2023
As we look back on another incredible year, I wanted to share a few Venture in Security highlights from 2023. And what a year it’s been! The readership of Venture in Security grew from 1,634 as of January 1st to 9,817 as of December 27th. Moreover, the blog has crossed half a million views in 2023 (555,744 as of December 27th to be precise) - an incredible milestone!
Venture in Security readership is growing every day – security practitioners, CISOs, entrepreneurs and startup leaders, investors, and many others; professionals like you, who are dedicated to growing as leaders in security, keep learning new things, and want to expand their horizons. If you aren’t a subscriber yet, sign up now.
Below you’ll find a collection of the year's top-rated content. Enjoy!
10. The power of Check Point mafia, the impact of Foundstone, Juniper Networks & Cisco on the industry, and the origins of cyber ecosystems
A brief look at how a few security companies got to define the present state of the industry.
9. The “great CISO resignation” isn’t what it looks like: a hype-free, data-driven, in-depth look at the evolution and challenges of security leaders
Looking at the CISO turnover at large enterprises, examining whether the “great CISO resignation” is real, and breaking down the trends defining what is actually happening in the CISO land.
An in-depth look at one of the trends defining the future of security - the rise of security engineering.
What startup success and failure in security look like, what makes some cybersecurity entrepreneurs succeed and others fail, and how various factors impact their ability to compete in the busy market.
6. The rise of cybersecurity certifications and why we should take an engineering approach to security education instead
Looking at professional designations in cybersecurity - why we have them, what they are expected to do, what the problem with having so many certifications is, and where we can go from here.
Looking at cybersecurity marketing, how it works, what can be done better, why the time to change is now, and how to do it without impacting the company's bottom line
4. Game of Thrones in cybersecurity: data gravity, industry consolidation, platform play, private equity, and the great cyber gold rush.
Looking at the topics of industry consolidation, data gravity, and platform play in cybersecurity, and discussing what the future of the industry could look like.
Analyzing the most common reasons cybersecurity startups fail, and how to prevent that.
2. Security is about data: how different approaches are fighting for security data and what the cybersecurity data stack of the future is shaping up to look like
Looking at different players promising to solve the security data problem, what each of them brings to the table, and the trends defining what the cybersecurity data stack of the future is going to be.
Looking at some of the most prominent reasons why there are thousands of cybersecurity vendors, and why saying “we don’t need 200+ products in the same category doing the same thing” doesn't help.